The SOFEI Group is excited to host its second annual C1B1 Summit on Saturday, September 28, 2024, 8:30 am - 2:00 pm at the Harborside Hotel in Oxon Hill, Maryland, to decrease the ambition gap among women and girls of color by showcasing women of color who are creating an equitable culture in their place of work, business, community, and society. The event theme is "Bridging Faith, Confidence, and Authenticity among Women and Girls of Color."
What to Expect?
Marian Wright Edelman states, You Can't Be What You Can't See. Attendees will be informed and inspired by intriguing and powerful conversations led by women of color panelists who represent faith, confidence, and excellence in individualism, politics, and business. Following are the topics and descriptions:
- Black Femininity: Humanizing Our Experiences - Femininity is generally associated with modesty, gentleness, nurturance, sensitivity, sweetness, supportiveness, humility, empathy, devotion, and tenderness. However, society tends to devalue and repress Black women's identity and voices who display feminine traits while the voices and identities of non-Black women evolve. Panelists will start the discussion to ignite and liberate the human spirit within Black women and girls to strengthen their existence in a non-celebratory society.
- Black Polity: Building Solidarity & Mobilizing Justice - Black polity is the collective struggle for people of color to gain power and influence to attain and maintain their rights as Black American citizens. Panelists for this topic will teach women and girls who perpetually experience social, political, academic, healthcare, and workforce injustices how to establish and build unity to mobilize justice for themselves and their communities.
- Non-Conformist: Building Businesses & Careers on our Terms - The wage gap is resilient between Black women and White men, and this trend can prevent women of color from achieving economic stability. One of the ways to close the wage gap is to become a business owner. Learn how these panelists created businesses and careers on their terms to earn their worth.
- Self Actualization & Self Love: Loving the skin I'm in (Luncheon Speaker) - Psalm 139:14 states, we fearfully and wonderfully made; however, the images and content on social media may say otherwise about women of color and can lead to their discontentment, lack of confidence, or self-hatred. The luncheon speaker will motivate summit attendees to reconnect to and embrace the essence of their individuality and beauty.
Who Should Attend?
Women and girls of color who want to create positive change in their personal lives, careers, businesses, or communities.
- 8:00 am - Check-in & Continental Breakfast
- 8:45 am - Event Welcome
- 9:00 am - Black Femininity: Colorism, Sexism, & Genderism
- 10:00 am - Business & Careers Panelists
- 11:00 am - Break
- 11:15 am - Women & Politics Panelists
- 12:15 pm - Lunch Break
- 12:45 pm - Authentic Living (Keynote Speaker)
- 1:30 pm - Closing Remarks
C1B1 Summit Panelists
This year's panelists represent experiences and fearlessness in:
- Advancing and elevating women's voices in corporate spaces
- Organizing and building solidarity to mobilize justice on community, local, and federal levels
- Building non-traditional careers and businesses
- Authentic Living
- Carol Sanders
- Alston & Bird
- Empact Ministries, Inc.
- Mortgage One Financial